Totally Hardy
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Totally Hardy

La premier forum de discussion sur Françoise Hardy

AccueilAccueil  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  
-28%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Précommande : Smartphone Google Pixel 8a 5G Double Sim 128Go ...
389 € 539 €
Voir le deal

The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966

5 participants
AuteurMessage
sundridge18
Fan
Fan

Féminin

The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 Empty
MessageSujet: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMar 5 Nov 2013 - 12:07

While surfing the net I came across this written by the music producer Simon Napier-Bell       http://skrufff.com/2013/09/simon-napier-bell-fancying-francoise-hardy-ending-up-with-amanda-lear/  

""Browsing on Youtube can be dangerously time-wasting. Last night, accompanied by a bottle of whiskey, I chanced on an old Françoise Hardy song from 1966, entrancing, “Il n’y a pas d’amour heureux” -http://tinyurl.com/qensblt

It led to a severe bout of nostalgia. In 1966, I was the music editor for the movie ‘What’s New Pussycat’ in which Françoise had a tiny but very alluring part. From seeing her face run through the moviola every day I became completely besotted. “Fuck being gay,” I decided. “This is what I really want.

Out of the blue, a month after I’d finished working on the movie, someone at United Artists called to ask if I’d like to produce a song with Françoise Hardy. United Artists in France, for whom she recorded, had heard one of my songs and thought it might be perfect for her. Amazing! A gift from heaven!

Three weeks later, at midday, I was waiting for her in Pye Studios at Marble Arch having been there since 8am recording the track. She arrived looking exactly like the photograph below. And looked at me exactly like that too.

Instantly heterosexualised, I simply wanted to grab her, but somehow managed just to peck her on the cheek. “Have you learnt the song yet?”

Of course,” she smiled. “It’s lovely.” And every word she said was as if she was proposing we go to the honeymoon suite at the hotel next door and shag for eternity.

I got her quickly into the vocal booth. It seemed safer with her behind glass.

“How would you like me?” she asked over the talkback.

It was a daunting question. “Just sing it as you want,” I said. “I’ll let you know if I want anything changed.”
But I didn’t.

Actually,quite a few things were wrong with it. For one thing I’d made the tempo a little faster but she was singing in the style of the demo I’d given her – a little slower, which gave her voice less dynamics. Yet I didn’t change a thing. I don’t know why, just in a fluster, I suppose.

She got it finished in a couple of takes and I pushed the session along far too quickly. By quarter past one we’d finished. I was thinking perhaps we might have lunch together. Instead, she thanked me for being quick and called a taxi back to the airport.

(The song was ‘Never Learn to Cry’ and went out on her 1966 album ‘En Anglais’. I still get royalties from it, but it’s nothing to be proud of. Not at all a good recording.)

But all was not lost. Three weeks later United Artists called again. “The Françoise Hardy track has gone down well in Paris,” they said. “Our French office want you to do another one Would you be free to go there next week?”

Yes, yes, yes! I thought, but tried to answer with as little enthusiasm as possible. “Mmm, perhaps I could fit it in. Let me look at my diary.”

A week later I flew into Paris and took a taxi to United Artists’ offices, only to be disappointed. It wasn’t Françoise Hardy they wanted a song for but another singer, waiting in the conference room – Amanda Lear, quite a different sort of girl.""

Later she turned out to be as alluring as Françoise. And much more in tune with what I was used to.” ""
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Rodrigo
Fan
Fan
Rodrigo

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMar 5 Nov 2013 - 15:47

En anglais n'est pas sorti en 1966! Il parle sans doute de In english, mais Never learn to cry ne figure pas sur celui-ci. Ce Napier-Bell a eu tort
Romain
Administrateur
Administrateur
Romain

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMar 5 Nov 2013 - 16:18

Marrant ce témoignage !
Dick
Fan
Fan
Dick

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMar 5 Nov 2013 - 16:24

Very nice story.
sundridge18
Fan
Fan

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMar 5 Nov 2013 - 16:52

The United Artists album with "Never learn to cry" was released in 1968 in the UK so he did get his dates wrong. I don't know whether his memory was playing tricks. He says that  the person who phoned him  was at United Artists  so it is interesting that they still  recorded at the Pye studios. The French release was on Vogue  which in the UK had links with Pye.  This perhaps implies the song was recorded 2 years before the album came out.
Laurent78
Fan
Fan

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 EmptyMer 6 Nov 2013 - 1:05

Wow, un formidable témoignage !
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966   The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966 Empty

The recording of "Never learn to cry" 1966
Page 1 sur 1